- Testing a 40-year old cell membrane theory (phys.org)
Laughter triggers physical changes in the body that can lead to better health. Some of the positive effects of humor and laughter are the strengthening of your immune system, boosting of your energy, diminishing your pain, and protecting you from the damaging consequences of stress. To top it off this is natures fun, free, and easy to use prescription that is available to anyone. Below are several ways that laughter can positively affect your health:
The cells of the body are workshops, a thousand times smaller than the cells of a honeycomb, yet furnished with every modern convenience. Besides, the inhabitants do not mind being shut up in their restricted quarters — everything has been provided to ensure their well-being. And the same laws apply to them all.
Naturally, here as in any community, there are certain individuals who prefer to live in the fringe of society. They are evil doers and they hide, the better to be able to carry out their illegal trade. Their hiding-places are most often cells at the bottom of blind alleys where their sort form unhealthy growths which quickly develop, branch out, and bring trouble to the peaceful city, and often death. These clusters of cells have a frightening Latin name which means crab: Cancer.
After studying the aspects of cancer found in the link below they can develop their own drawing with explanation that shows an interpretation of cancer and how it invades the body. The link below allows student to explore all aspects of cancer from cause and prevention to diagnosis and treatment as well as hallmarks and pathways.
It’s never too early to start to learn about health, health careers and the human body. The following subjects are grade and age appropriate:
Grade 1 – Your Basic Needs
Grade 2/3 – The Importance of Air and Water
Grade 4/5 – Food and Fitness, Careers in Health Care, The Human Body
There are also some great school wide programs to peak interest and community involvement:
I really hope that these resources are useful to Elementary Educators who want to discuss Health and Medicine !
A trip that became an annual event for LantanaMS Pre-Medical Academy was our behind the scenes look at Sea World Orlando. This field trip included a six hour tour of the rehabilitation, surgical, and training areas along with a personal guide to the most popular shows. The rest of the day was spent riding roller coasters, eating junk food and just having an all around good time. The academy students get to explore all types of medical professions including Veterinary Medicine and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a close up in the field experience. I think that our adventure can best be described in pictures.
Having learned from opening an Academy there are certain steps that one should take. I have listed 10 of those steps below. Please remember that this list is not all-inclusive.
1. Don’t go in blind. Set up an action plan.
2. Make lists so as not to miss the little things. You can’t remember everything.
3. Become part of the local community by joining service groups (Rotary, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce, and Education Council).
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from those who have expertise in a certain discipline be it curriculum or fund-raising.
5. Employ the services of the parents and students in order to give them ownership in their education and the academy.
6. Get the school community on board by employing a cross curricular approach.
7. Be creative in marketing your product to local business leaders and professionals.
8. Become involved in the room construction and planning to maximize the efficiency of the space to your particular needs. This will include placement of whiteboards, demonstration tables, desks and any equipment that may be unmovable once installed.
9. You won’t get anything if you don’t ask.
10. Have fun. Your students can tell if you aren’t.