Having learned from opening an Academy there are certain steps that one should take. I have listed 10 of those steps below. Please remember that this list is not all-inclusive.
1. Don’t go in blind. Set up an action plan.
2. Make lists so as not to miss the little things. You can’t remember everything.
3. Become part of the local community by joining service groups (Rotary, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce, and Education Council).
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from those who have expertise in a certain discipline be it curriculum or fund-raising.
5. Employ the services of the parents and students in order to give them ownership in their education and the academy.
6. Get the school community on board by employing a cross curricular approach.
7. Be creative in marketing your product to local business leaders and professionals.
8. Become involved in the room construction and planning to maximize the efficiency of the space to your particular needs. This will include placement of whiteboards, demonstration tables, desks and any equipment that may be unmovable once installed.
9. You won’t get anything if you don’t ask.
10. Have fun. Your students can tell if you aren’t.